Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Developing Characters

So, I have sort of taken a break from editing. But only sort of. I bought this book called Writing the Intimate Character and have been going through it with Picture of the Past in mind. It has actually been incredibly helpful - it not only talks about how to develop characters but has exercises in the back of each chapter to help you implement it. I have been forcing myself to do each exercise whether I feel like it or not and have amazed myself by how much more I feel like I know Elizabeth, whom, as you know, I have been struggling with since the beginning.

It turns out, even she has some uncertainty underneath her proud and confident exterior. Due in most part to how often her father moved them around and her need to constantly have to make new friends. That is not to excuse her behavior, of course, but it did increase understanding of her constant need for admiration.

Some of the exercises have taken me out of my comfort zone or even just exhausted my brain, but it may be the best thing to happen to my book and its characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment